Save everything

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61548] Save everything
  • From: Detlef Müller <dmueller at mathematik.uni-kassel.de>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:35:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

In Mathematica 5.1 I have a notebook, and after some long during
calculations, I want to save the State of the Kernel.

This means, later, I want to do Load["everything.dat"] and
work on.

The Help says:

Save["filename", "form"] appends definitions associated with all
symbols whose names match the string pattern form.

But
Save["everything.dat","_"]

leads to a file everything.dat with Content

Attributes[Blank] = {Protected}

wich of course doesn't contain the Information for
Restauration.

Trying to save every context (as I want the
data from loaded packages stored too, Global`
was not enough) leads to

DumpSave["everything.dat","_`"]
List::cxt: Invalid context specified at position 1 in {_`}.
A context must consist of valid symbol names separated by and
ending with `.

So how to save the whole status?

Greetings
   Detlef