Re: Mathematica can't solve simple system of equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60452] Re: Mathematica can't solve simple system of equations
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:50:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 9/15/05 at 5:16 AM, mbekkali at gmail.com (Mukhtar Bekkali) wrote:

>Assume I have two equations a[i]^x(a[i]^x+a[j]^x)^(1/x)-p[i], where
>i=1,2, i!=j (not equal), and all variables, {a,x,p} are strictly
>positive. Mathematica cannot  give me the answer that I can work
>out by hand in less than a minute. I used both Solve and Reduce to
>solve for a[i], i=1,2. Please advise. Mukhtar Bekkali

It would be far easier for me (or anyone else for that matter) to offer intelligent suggestions if you would post the actual code for the equations you are trying to compare. Meanwhile, I will offer the following

Mathematica dose not see a[i]^x as a variable rasied to a power. Instead this syntax is for a function named a evaluated at i raised to a power. Perhaps this is part of the problem. If you meant a subsripted variable, then the syntax is Subscript[a, i]. Note this too differs from the usual variable which has Head Symbol, not Head Subscript. However, it is possible to have Mathematica treat subscripted variables the same as it does normal variables using the utilities in the Notations package.