Re: Object-Oriented Paradigm in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66033] Re: Object-Oriented Paradigm in Mathematica?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 02:26:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Shyam Guthikonda wrote:
> I come from the world of C++ :) I am trying to perform various
> simulations using Mathematica, and I find myself coming up with all my
> algorithms in terms of objects.
>
> Does Mathematica support some type of Object-Oriented Paradigm? I was
> able to find a Classes.m package, but I read a few posts saying this was
> not the greatest.
>
> Is there a some standard package (with good documentation) that I can
> download somewhere?
>
> Thanks much,
> _Shyam

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but surely the best way to
learn a new and interesting language like Mathematica is not to start by
trying to force it into another paradigm. Mathematica differs from OO
languages such as C++ and Java in a lot of ways because it can
manipulate symbolic expressions that can then be executed as code.

I must admit at this point that I am not overly keen on the OO paradigm,
which often seems to result in complicated, verbose solutions to
otherwise simple problems.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk