Re: Re: General--Exponential simplifications by default

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69133] Re: [mg69073] Re: General--Exponential simplifications by default
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The problem is that you are using the word "evaluate" in a different
sense than the normal sense used in the context of functional
programming languages and computer algebra systems. In this normal
usage all "simplifications"  (your words) performed by "the
Evaluator" are "evaluations" and their results are "values" of the
input expressions. Simplify is, something quite different - a
function applied by the user with its own semantics and its own
evaluation sequence, quite separate from what the "Evaluator" does.

For example, the expression  2/3 when entered into Mathematica has
FullForm

FullForm[Hold[2/3]]

Hold[Times[2,Power[3,-1]]]

but the Evaluator evaluates this to:

FullForm[2/3]

Rational[2,3]

This is normally described by saying that the value of Times[2,Power
[3,-1]] in Mathematica is Rational[2,3]. There are many such cases in
Mathematica and what you have come across are just some of them.
This is completely analogous to what you find in other functional
languages (like Lisp) where you have to carefully distinguish between
unevaluated expressions and their "values". (In Lisp you use the
quote sign to make this distinction). All of this is standard staff
and can be found in every book on functional languages etc.

Andrzej Kozlowski