Re: General--Exponential simplifications by default

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69156] Re: General--Exponential simplifications by default
  • From: p-valko at tamu.edu
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 04:39:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You simply neglected my last example and went back to your example (the
value of 2/3).
However, your example is not interesting, because in it the result of
Numerator[] is not contradictory at all.

In my example, the value (in your words) of the input expression
1/Sqrt[2] is still 1/Sqrt[2] but the result of applying Numerator[] to
it gives a strikingly different than anticipated result.
Numerator[] does something else in between and we do not know what she
is doing. If you use Trace, you can see that everything strange is
happening inside the Numerator[] that is

In[2]:=
Map[InputForm,Trace[Numerator[1/Sqrt[2]]]]
Out[2]=
{{{{HoldForm[Sqrt[2]], HoldForm[Sqrt[2]]}, HoldForm[Sqrt[2]^(-1)],
HoldForm[1/Sqrt[2]]}, HoldForm[1/Sqrt[2]],
HoldForm[1/Sqrt[2]]},HoldForm[Numerator[1/Sqrt[2]]],HoldForm[Sqrt[2]]}

The rersult of  Numerator[1/Sqrt[2]]     is     Sqrt[2]   and
"all of this is quite not standard staff  and cannot be found in every
book on functional languages..."

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net