Re: Re: Not Using a Text Editor Interface for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64538] Re: Re: Not Using a Text Editor Interface for Mathematica
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:31:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Renan" <renan.birck at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dtc9ec$a3c$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Murray Eisenberg wrote in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica:
>> Then perhaps you SHOULD be doing more drawing of diagrams (i.e., plots
>> and graphs).  As Hamming once wrote, "The purpose of computing is
>> insight, not numbers" (or something like that).
>
> I draw diagrams when I'm done with the number crunching.

That's entertaining! Feynman advocated doing it the other way around.

Diagrams can suggest better ways of doing the number crunching, or they can
even suggest ways of avoiding the number crunching altogether; I have no
idea whether either of these happy scenarios holds in your application area.

Steve Luttrell