finding the position of a pattern in list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64583] finding the position of a pattern in list
  • From: Gang Ma <contactmagang at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:34:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
I am working on a program to do the following: My data is a list of 0
and 1. For example, {0,0,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,1,0}. I want to find the
positions of all the pattern of {0,1}.  In my previous example, the
first {0,1} is at 2 and and the second {0,1} appears at 7. I can
write a loop to do this, but I have several thousands such lists,
the computation will be time consuming using loop.

My question is whether it is possible to use the pattern match to do
this quickly.  If not for the list, do I need to convert the list to
string then use some pattern match for string?  Thank you very much.

regards,

Gang Ma