Re: timer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63448] Re: [mg63440] timer
  • From: jmt <jmt at dxdydz.net>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 01:16:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Saturday 31 December 2005 12:40, ekantian wrote:
> i would like to be able to have a cell evaluated automatically at a
> specified time (say, 10:00 pm when i'm away from my computer). you see
> i always forget to start my lengthy methematica processes before end of
> day. would prefer to do this from within mathematica notebook (rather
> than with windows batch file & m code).  i do assume the notebook would
> have to be already open for any such process to work. is there a way?
>
> please post any suggestions. thx.

The following three statements do the work :

date = FromDate[{2005, 12, 31, 14, 32, 30}]

While[AbsoluteTime[] < date]

Print["Do something"]

But using a 'cron' task (on a Unix system ; and I guess similar
functionalities exist on other operating systems) or a 'at' task, will be
much more intelligent, since in this Mathematica code, the cpu runs and
consumes all resources till time is due...