Re: timer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63467] Re: [mg63440] timer
  • From: Christopher Purcell <christopherpurcell at mac.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 01:16:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

(* The JLink documentation in Version 5.2 describes the routine
AddPeriodical which may be a starting point for your timer.
To test this I loaded the WebServices package to make a little
routine that gets a stock quote every 60 seconds and appends  it to a
text file called "ticker.txt". Note that the kernel is not tied up
while waiting the 60 seconds, you can carry on working. *)

Needs["JLink`"];
Needs["WebServices`"];
InstallService["http://www.webservicex.com/stockquote.asmx?WSDL";];

writequote[symb_String]:=Module[{quote,last},(
quote=GetQuote[symb];
last=ToExpression[StringTake[quote,{1+Last[StringPosition
[quote,"<Last>"][[1]]],-1+First[StringPosition[quote,"</Last>"]
[[1]]]}]];
last>>>ticker.txt)]

task=AddPeriodical[writequote["AAPL"],60];  (* start the JLink timer
and get its id, we are looking up Apple Computer's stock price every
60 seconds *)

(* After this runs for a bit you can list the file and see the stock
prices. *)

!!ticker.txt

71.89
71.89
71.89
(* the markets were closed when I did this, so no changes are visible *)

RemovePeriodical[task];  (* to shut down the timer process *)

(* You should just have to substitute your expression to be evaluated
for the "writequote" function. Note the JLink documentation says
AddPeriodical won't write to a notebook, so that's why I sent the
results out to an external file.  *)

christopherpurcell at mac.com