Re: Re: Can anybody help?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63818] Re: [mg63791] Re: Can anybody help?
  • From: <bsyehuda at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 05:43:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I would consider an elegant code / solution as a combination of simplicity
and length.
That is, if you need to make some calculations, trying to express them in
the simplest form available and then try to implement the idea with a simple
code. This doesn't imply on the number of operations done, since when
calling a Mathematica internal function details are hidden, but being aware
of the function contributes to the "elegance" of the code.

So as I see it elegant = function(simplicity,length)
but I cannot give a  definition for this in general. I think that we all
have our intuition of what elegant is  although we cannot define it in
general.

You could have seen various competitive tasks given in the Mathematica
Developers conference.
I looked at various solutions of the competitors and then thee was Stephen
Wolfram's solution.
to my opinion his solutions were always the most elegant since he knows best
how to get the maximum out of Mathematica using relatively short codes.

yehuda