Factorising polynomials

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63970] Factorising polynomials
  • From: "Tony King" <mathstutoring at ntlworld.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:46:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to find the number of irreducible polynomials over the integers
in the factorisation of x^n+1

I used the following code

data = Factor[x^# + 1] & /@ Range[6]

Followed by

Table[Length[data[[k]]], {k, 1, 6}]

And Mathematica returned {2,2,2,2,2,2}, one assumes because it was counting
terms such as 1+x as 2 terms. However, when the number of factors exceeds 1,
Mathematica returns them as a list and counts them correctly. The output
that I was looking for should have been {1,1,2,1,2,2}.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might modify the above code so that it
returns the correct number of terms

Many thanks

Tony