When does Mathematica display a message?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64010] When does Mathematica display a message?
  • From: ted.ersek at tqci.net
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 05:13:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I did the following with Mathematica 4.0 under Windows 2000.
I wonder if Mathematica 5.2 does the same thing.

The first line posts a message as I expect.

In[1]:=  x=Sin[2,3]

   Sin::argx : Sin called with two arguments; 1 argument is expected.

Out[1]=  Sin[2,3]

----------------------------
Why does the next line post the message twice?

In[2]:=  x+0.23

   Sin::argx : Sin called with two arguments; 1 argument is expected.

   Sin::argx : Sin called with two arguments; 1 argument is expected.

Out[2]= 0.23+Sin[2,3]

---------------------------
Also why do the next two lines post no message?

In[3]:= y=9/3+4+2^3*x

Out[3]= 7+8*Sin[2,3]

In[4]:= Expand[y^2]

Out[4]= 49+112*Sin[2,3]+64*Sin[2,3]^2

Notice the message was never turned Off, and the next line postes the
expected message.

In[5]:=  Sin[4,5]

   Sin::argx : Sin called with two arguments; 1 argument is expected.

Out[5]=  Sin[4,5]

So when is a message posted?

Thanks,

    Ted Ersek