Re: Combining Graphics and Graphics3D objects (something akin to Shadow)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64076] Re: [mg64020] Combining Graphics and Graphics3D objects (something akin to Shadow)
  • From: "Maarten van der Burgt" <maarten.vanderburgt at icos.be>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:14:23 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Craig,

You can manipulate a 2D graphics object with replacement rules to make it
3D. This is shown below. Note that this approach can fail if your gr2d
object has more complex arguments than just {x, y}, which also could be
affected by the replacement rule.
Hope this helps

Maarten van der Burgt

gr2d=Plot[x^2,{x,-5,5}];

gr3d1=gr2d[[1]]/.{x_,y_}->{x,0,y};
gr3d2=gr2d[[1]]/.{x_,y_}->{0,x,y};

Show[Graphics3D[{Hue[0],gr3d1, Hue[0.7],
gr3d2}],PlotRange->All,Axes->True];

                    "W. Craig
                    Carter"              To:     mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
                    <ccarter@mit.        cc:
                    edu>                 Subject: [mg64076]     [mg64020] Combining Graphics and Graphics3D objects (something akin to Shadow)

                    27/01/2006
                    11:13

I am wondering if anybody has done this and would show me a working
example that I could modify for my purposes.

I'd like to render a Graphics3D object (say using ParametricPlot3D)
and also render two arbitrary 2d Graphics objects onto planes of
the bounding box of the Graphics3d object.  The 2d objects might be
(originally) generated from DensityGraphics or ContourPlot.

The effect should be similar to Graphics`Graphics3D`ShadowPlot3D,
but with arbitrary graphics for the projections. I suppose I could
hack this package as a last resort...

Many thanks,
W. Craig Carter