Re: General--A Minor Annoyance

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64073] Re: General--A Minor Annoyance
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:14:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I am a fan of extending my Mathematica menu by altering the Menusetup.tr
file using a text editor. Under Windows at least you can provide
keyboard shortcuts so  that it is very easy to use menu items from the
keyboard. If you do this, however, BACK IT UP FIRST, because if you get
it wrong Mathematica will just refuse to start!

To define a menu item to select the whole cell you need to add an extra
item to this file such as:

Item["Select &Cell",FrontEndExecute[
                               Module[{Set[nb,InputNotebook[]]},
                               SelectionMove[nb,All,Cell];
                               ]
                            ], MenuEvaluator->Automatic]

Note that you can't use operators in this file - you have to use
essentially FullForm. Yes, I know I could simplify the above slightly,
but I like to test anything before I post it here, and changing the
Menusetup.tr file and rebooting Mathematica (which you need to do for
the changes to take effect) is too much trouble.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk