Re: when dimension increases

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67572] Re: [mg67531] when dimension increases
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 05:11:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 30 Jun 2006, at 17:13, Arkadiusz Majka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Imagine that I want to sort (or do anything else) a list
>
> list={5,2,8,3}
>
> So I use Sort[list]
>
> Next I add next dimension and obtain a list listNew=Table[list,{5}]
>
> In order to sort all sublists of it  it I use Map[Sort, listNew]
>
> Now I add another more dimension listNew1=Table[list, {3},{5}]
>
> I can again sort all sublists of it using combination of Table and
> Map.
>
> The question is the following:
>
> How can I deal with expresions of unknown a priori dimension? For
> example what is the most elegant (clear and fast) method of sorting
> all
> sublists of multidimensional expresion? I would like to avoid Table
> and
> unclear expresions with many "Maps" (one embeded in another).
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Arek

I am not completely sure if I understand you correctly, but maybe
this might help. Suppose we have a list:

ls = {{2, 5, 4}, {{4, 3, 5}, {5, 1, 3}}}

And would like to Sort all the sublists. One approach would be like
this. Define an auxiliary function f:

f[l_List]:=Sort[l]
f[l_]:=l

and then simply use MapAll:

MalAll[f,ls]

{{{1, 3, 5}, {3, 4, 5}}, {2, 4, 5}}

It may be however that you only want to sort the "inner lists' only.
There are several possible approaches. One is simply to Map Sort on
the -2 level of ls:

Map[Sort,ls,{-2}]

{{2, 4, 5}, {{3, 4, 5}, {1, 3, 5}}}

Or, you could define a function g as follows:

g[l_?VectorQ]:=Sort[l]

g[l_]:=l

and again use MapAll:

MapAll[g,ls]

There are also several other similar methods I could suggest. It
would help in choosing the best one if I knew what exactly you wanted
to sort.

Andrzej Kozlowski

Tokyo, Japan