Plot Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67719] Plot Question
  • From: "Bharat Bhole" <bbhole at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 04:18:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello All:

I have a 2-D Plot in which I want to restrict the display of y-axis from
8-16, and of x-axis from 0-9. I achieve this using

plot=Plot[function[x],{x,1,8}, PlotRange ->{{0,9},{8,16}},
AxesOrigin->{0,8}].

Then I want to label the x and y-axes and this is where I am having trouble.
I want the x-axis label to appear just below the x-axis (and not at the end
of the axis, as option AxesLabel gives). So I use the Text command and
define

labelX = Text["name-xaxis", {5,7}]

Then I use,

Show[ plot , labelX ]

This, however, does not show name-xaxis, which I suppose is because it is
out of PlotRange specified in Plot command. If I modify the PlotRange in the
Show[ ] command to say

Show[plot,labelX, PlotRange->{{0,9},{6,16}}]

then it shows the  name-xaxis, however, it also extends the y-axis line to
y=5. How can I both, get the name to display and at the same time have the
y-axis start at value 8.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bharat.