Re: Graphics export quality-methods and defaults

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68168] Re: Graphics export quality-methods and defaults
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 05:29:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

a) if you save a vector format like EPS ther
should be no loss of quality
b) what may the option ImageSize do ? when you use
Export[] ???

Regards
  Jens

"kevin_jazz" <kevinbowman at mac.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:ea72nn$k6u$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Hi,
|
| I'm trying to understand how Mathematica
generates graphics within
| notebooks and how they are exported.  I'm
running Mathematica 5.2 on OS
| 10.4.6.  I've generated a listplot
| lplot = ListPlot[....]
|
| The size of the initial graphics that are
produced from this plot is
| small relative to the notebook. Furthermore, the
axes labels are
| written over the axes themselves.  Overall the
graphic looks
| "scrunched".  If I export this graphic using
Export["file.eps", lplot],
| I get a faithful, albeit unattractive
representation of the graphic.

| On the other hand, if I take my cursor and drag
the graphic in my
| notebook to a larger size, e.g., 12" wide, then
the graphic looks good.
| I then click on the graphic and then menu Edit
 >> Save Selection As..
| >> EPS...
| This approach produces a faithful production of
the graphic and it
| looks better.
|
| So, I suppose Mathematica has some default
graphic size that is too
| small.  How do I increase it?
|
| I've looked at the options unders Preferences
but I don't really know
| which one to look at.
|
| I would be please to send anyone interested the
eps files of the