RE: Graphics export quality-methods and defaults

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68182] RE: [mg68154] Graphics export quality-methods and defaults
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 05:30:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kevin,

Use overall plot options in your Plot statements. For example...

Plot[x^2 ,{x,-2,2},
 Frame -> True,
 FrameLabel -> {x,y},
 PlotLabel -> "A Plot Of My Function",
 ImageSize -> 500];

You could also use options such as AspectRatio, PlotRange, and Background to
further enhance the appearance of your plot. These options are quite
essential to producing nice quality graphics but it takes beginners a little
while to become familiar with them. Check out the graphics options in Help.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: kevin_jazz [mailto:kevinbowman at mac.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how Mathematica generates graphics within
notebooks and how they are exported.  I'm running Mathematica 5.2 on OS
10.4.6.  I've generated a listplot
lplot = ListPlot[....]

The size of the initial graphics that are produced from this plot is
small relative to the notebook. Furthermore, the axes labels are
written over the axes themselves.  Overall the graphic looks
"scrunched".  If I export this graphic using Export["file.eps", lplot],
I get a faithful, albeit unattractive representation of the graphic.

On the other hand, if I take my cursor and drag the graphic in my
notebook to a larger size, e.g., 12" wide, then the graphic looks good.
 I then click on the graphic and then menu Edit >> Save Selection As..
>> EPS...
This approach produces a faithful production of the graphic and it
looks better.

So, I suppose Mathematica has some default graphic size that is too
small.  How do I increase it?

I've looked at the options unders Preferences but I don't really know
which one to look at.

I would be please to send anyone interested the eps files of the
graphics to which I've been referring.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Kevin Bowman