Re: Sturm-Liouville (eigenvalue/eigenfunction) problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67425] Re: Sturm-Liouville (eigenvalue/eigenfunction) problems
  • From: "Alan" <info at optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 04:31:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Selwyn Hollis" <sh2.7183 at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:e7apn6$99s$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Alan,

> It contains a number of good examples beyond the usual boring ones
> with constant coefficients.
>
> I hope it's useful.
>
> -- Selwyn Hollis

Thanks for the notebook, Selwyn.

Since my original post I have discovered the SLEIGN2
fortran package and ported the regular case to Mathematica.
It works fine so far on my application.

A good project for somebody's graduate student would be
to port the whole thing -- given Mathematica's superior
visualizations, I very surprised this hasn't been done.

I am also surprised there are no built-in methods for
this, given its importance to mathematics.

regards,
alan