Ploting a changing constant

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64740] Ploting a changing constant
  • From: Mary Beth Mulcahy <Mary.Mulcahy at colorado.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 06:47:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

OK, so this has to be an easy one.  I am trying to plot a function several times
for a variety of values of a constant.  For example:

y[x_, a_]:=a*x

I want to plot a=10, a=20 overlaying one another.  Currently I simply rewrite
the equation however many times I need to change the variable.  For example:

DisplayTogether[Plot[y[x, 10], {x, 0, 33}],Plot[y[x,20], {x, 0,
33}],Plot[y[x,30], {x, 0, 33}],Plot[y[x,40], {x, 0, 33}],Plot[y[50], {x, 0,
33}]]

I'm plotting this equation 15 times with a increasing in steps of ten.  Seems to
me there should be a single command to do this rather than cut and paste 10
times (and then go back in to change the variable by hand).  Something like in
Sum[] where you can state the beginingvalue, end value and step size.

Thanks for the help.

mary beth

University of Colorado
Chemistry 76