Problem with Import and/or J/Link

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64810] Problem with Import and/or J/Link
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:35:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

{I already posted this problem deep inside another thread but didn't get an
answer.  I'd really like one so I'll try again.)

I have Mathematica 5.2 on Windows XP

While I can import data from the Web from a sufficiently "simple" URL, e.g.

Import["http://public.web.cern.ch/public/";, "Lines"]

I find that when I try a less "simple" URL such as

Import["http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=%5EDJI&a=09&b=1&c=2000&d=...","CSV";]

then I just get errors like
Java::excptn: A Java exception occurred: java.io.IOException: The filename,
\
directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1314)
at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1402)
at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1439)
at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:\
39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(\
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25).

This was the example URL from the earlier posting.  Apparently it works fine
for other people.  In fact, it also works for me if I switch to a remote
kernel running on a Linux computer.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong in my setup ?    I would really like
to be able to use this kind of data access.

(As mentioned in my earlier post the J/Link example notebook GetURL seems to
work.)

Thanks,

John Jowett