Re: Unprotecting "I"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64807] Re: Unprotecting "I"
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:35:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

you can't change anything on a locked symbol.

Regards
  Jens

"Chris Young" <c1572young at earthlink.net> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:du83rr$t12$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| I'd like to be able to occasionally use all the
letters of the alphabet
| (or at least the first 12 or so), both small and
capital letters, for
| variables. I think it's the easiest way to
present a lot of formulas. I
| was able to Unprotect everything except "I",
which Mathematica reserves
| for the "imaginary unity", "i". Is there any way
to temporarily
| unprotect "I"?
|
| (Also, I wish there was some way to copy the
example from my notebook
| without all the extraneous back-slashes, etc.)
|
| What I get from Mathematica is as follows:
|
| Unprotect[I]
|    Protect::locked: "Symbol \[ImaginaryI] is
locked.

| Attributes[I]
|    {Locked, Protected, ReadProtected}
|
| ClearAttributes[I, Locked]
|    Attributes::locked: Symbol \[ImaginaryI] is
locked.

| Clear[I]
|    Clear::wrsym: Symbol \[ImaginaryI] is
Protected.

| ClearAll[I]
|    ClearAll::"wrsym": "Symbol \[ImaginaryI] is
Protected."