Graphics Text background problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65039] Graphics Text background problem
  • From: pdickof at scf.sk.ca
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:58:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The Mathematica book 2.10.16 says "By default the text is just put
straight on top of whatever graphics have already been drawn." and
shows that for the example

Show[Graphics[{{GrayLevel[0.5], Rectangle[{0, 0}, {
          1, 1}]}, Text["Some text", {0.5, 0.5}]}]]

the result should be black text superimposed on a grey rectangle.

This worked on my system until recently. Now, however, when I execute
this I get a grey rectangle with a white bar extending from under the
black text all the way to the right margin of the rectangle. Why has
this changed and how do I go back to the original (correct) behaviour?
Restarting Mathematica does not help.

I _think_ this may be related to changes I have made via the option
inspector. I have played with the Display Options for Notebook and
Global setting Background to GreyLevel[1].

Thanks in advance....

Peter Dickof