Re: how can I import my datas in excel to mathematica and then do calculations on them?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65059] Re: [mg65019] how can I import my datas in excel to mathematica and then do calculations on them?
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:59:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Deniz,

> Dear members, i've just signed up to this group to get your
> ideas about my problem, First of all i'm a mathematic
> engineering student in university and this is about my
> graduation project.
> To summarize,
> i have over 3650 datas in my excel files, they are datas of
> each day past 10 years, i should import this to mathematica
> to do some calculations, i 'll find increment or decrement
> percentage of each day according to the next day, i almost
> need to have 3649 calculations, can't do it without
> mathematica :) but i can't even import those datas ?
> does any of you have any kind of idea, i'll gratefull if you help me.

You'll need to give a few more details as to how your data are set up ....

How are the data organised?  As 3650 Excel spreadsheets?  In a single
spreadsheet as multiple pages?  Some other combination?

You might also want to investigate consolidating data within a single
spreadsheet to minimise the number of files you have to deal with, but the
bottom line is that Mathematica (5.2) can directly import data from Excel
and it can deal with multiple files as a matter of course.

If you have an earlier version, then you'll probably have to write data to
text files & read them directly (either Import[] or ReadList[] depending on
how old your copy of Mathematica is).

Failing that, post some code and and / or data.

Regards,

Dave.