Convex Hull 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65430] Convex Hull 3D
  • From: Virgil Stokes <virgil.stokes at it.uu.se>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 06:09:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Today I installed Mathematica 5.2 and although there are many
enhancements I was disappointed that it still does not have a convex
hull function for 3 dimensional objects. In earlier contacts with
Wolfram Research (several years ago), I was given the impression that
such a function would be part of the
next release; but, this has not happened.

Before sending this email, I checked "Wolfram Research Forums",
including "Documentation Center", "Mathematica Information Center", and
"MathGroup" which were not very useful on finding a Mathematica
implementation for finding the convex hull of 3D objects. However, I did
do a search through the MathGroup archives and found that there was a
discussion on this topic, e.g. "[mg44708] Follow up: 3D Convex Hull" ,
(2003-11-21) contained a link --- but link didn't work. I finally did
find a site that had an experimental Mathematical implementation for
Mathematica 3.0 and tried to get this running in Mathematica 5.2; but,
was unsuccessful.

I would appreciate greatly Mathematica code for finding the convex hull
of 3D objects.

--Thanks,
V. Stokes