Re: Is it possible to "pre-evaluate" parts of pure function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70398] Re: Is it possible to "pre-evaluate" parts of pure function?
  • From: Roland Franzius <roland.franzius at uos.de>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:19:40 -0400 (EDT)

Philpp schrieb:
> Thanks a lot for all answers (including emails). I suppose the correct
> solution
>
> SetOptions[f, MultiplierFunction -> (Evaluate[const #] &)]
>
> escaped me due to my lack of understanding of the pure function (body)&
> syntax. As Jon McLoone points out, "the Evaluate needs to be on the
> argument of Function not around the outside of it"

An easy solution for problems of this kind is always

f=Function@@{expression containing # and named symbols with values to be
used at definition time}

Using this definition the expression with Slot[] is evaluated first and
becomes a function then using Apply. For functions with named arguments
it works too.

f=Function@@{{x,y},expression containing x,y }

You only have to be cautious in order to avoid symbols you don't want to
get evaluated at definition time.

--

Roland Franzius
Roland Franzius