Wolfram Notebook Indexer and Searching Notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79721] Wolfram Notebook Indexer and Searching Notebooks
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 03:59:39 -0400 (EDT)

I have an up-to-data Windows Vista with Goggle Desktop and am able to do
some searching for items. But it does not seem to find anything in the
$BaseDirectory, which is where all my notebooks and applications are.

How can one do a search for items in notebooks? Does it search for just file
names or does it also search for text within a notebook? What is the role of
the Wolfram Notebook Indexer?

In the old 5.2 packages, by putting names in the master index, I could set
it up so that if one placed the cursor after a function name, defined in a
package, and clicked Mathematica would jump to the help notebook for that
name. It no longer does this. Instead it does a search and then says it
could not find any items matching the search term.

How does one set up general notebook searching and test that it is working
properly?

I thought this was the whole point of switching to the new documentation
system.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net