Re: Progess bar in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79939] Re: Progess bar in Mathematica
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 05:20:00 -0400 (EDT)

Dr. Wolfgang Hintze wrote:
> Is it possible to generate a kind of progess indicator in Mathematica?

A progress indicator or progress bar can be generated by the built-in
function *ProgressIndicator*? See ref/ProgressIndicator in the
documentation center or online at
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/ProgressIndicator.html

> I could use Print[] but this scrolls the screen.

You could use *WriteString* and the standard output stream. For
instance, the following expression will write a sequence of numbers on
one line.

WriteString["stdout", "Here we are: "]
Do[WriteString["stdout", StringJoin[ToString[n], " .. "]], {n, 10}]
WriteString["stdout", "The End!"]

Here we are: 1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 .. 6 .. 7 .. 8 .. 9 .. 10 .. The End!

> Im looking for something like
>
>     Application.StatusBar = "Please be patient..."
<snip>

The equivalent function in Mathematica must be *WindowStatusArea*. See
ref/WindowStatusArea in the documentation center or online at
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/WindowStatusArea.html

--
Jean-Marc