Re: Re: Version 6 "Mathematica Book" - updated

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80209] Re: [mg80173] Re: Version 6 "Mathematica Book" - updated
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 04:07:58 -0400 (EDT)

My comments interspersed below.

thomas wrote:

> This brings up another issue, however, which is the section I named
> "Further Tutorials" between "The Book" and the section with the
> "Package" documentation. Obviously, these tutorials fit somewhere
> within the natural flow of "The Book", but I didn't feel like going to
> the trouble to figure out where. Instead, I at least tried to divide
> them into topics. Some of these tutorials are quite basic, while some
> of them are very sophisticated indeed (like the ones about dynamic
> interactivity, or the one about Random Number Generation).
>
> In fact, I feel it should not be anybody's job to figure out the
> outline of where to place these tutorials, that should be done by the
> folks at WRI. Obviously somebody wrote those documents, it should not
> be too hard for the authors to place them appropriately within "The
> Book".

Of course that's precisely the complaint I and others have made: WRI (or
at least Stephen Wolfram) seems to have abandoned the idea of a
linear/spiral organization of all this tutorial material.

Some of those tutorials clearly should go into the first part, "A
Practical Introduction to Mathematica", and others into the 2nd part,
"Principles of Mathematica".

> So, maybe the next version of Mathematica Documentation Center will
> have "The Book" again, with proper placement of all tutorials.

Well, at a Mathematica conference (where no confidentiality agreement
was required) it was stated quite clearly that no new version of "The
Mathematica Book" would be appearing.

> ...I really do like the new documentation center with its many
> examples, it is just a shame that it hides these tutorials, which are
> really excellent documents, and obfuscates the natural order in which
> they were written and supposed to be read in (i.e. the order of "The
> Book").

Amen!

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.