Re: Serious Problem with GridLines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80276] Re: Serious Problem with GridLines
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:49:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 6, 2:47 am, Daniel Flatin <dflatin at are_sea_en.com> wrote:
> On 2007-08-04 06:22:02 -0400, "DavidPark" <djmp... at comcast.net> said:
>
> > I reveived a nice answer from Chris Chiasson who passed on an answer from
> > James Mulnix at WRI Technical Support.
>
> > It appears that Graphics now has Method as an option and among the methods
> > are the following:
>
> > Method -> {"AxesInFront" -> True/False}
> > Method -> {"GridLinesInFront" -> True/False}
>
> > and that gives the control we need.
>
> This is nowhere in the package documentation. Three years ago Ted Ersek
> published the last update to his Mathematica Tips and Tricks notebook
> and website:
>
> <http://www.verbeia.com/mathematica/tips/HTMLLinks/Tricks_Misc_9.html>
>
> In one section he mentioned how some functionality of Mathematica is
> not documented anywhere in the distribution, and it appears to have
> only gotten worse. He included a URL to a Wolfram documentation page:
>
> <http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/kernel/Symbols/>
>
> Checking this page for "Method" or for "GridLinesInFront" fails to
> reveal anything about this functionality.

That is not surprising given that GridLinesInFront is not a symbol
(AFAIK). This is almost certainly something they considered ahead of
time. They probably don't want (what would be) a bunch of option
symbols cluttering up their namespace. However, I think not making
them symbols also has disadvantages. Not being able to enumerate some
options using Name is probably high on the list.