FindFit and complex function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80531] FindFit and complex function?
  • From: Michael Ignatov <mignatov at chemistry.ohio-state.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:04:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

I have ran into a problem of fitting my experimental data points to a
function in mathematica.
The function comes from a solution of five algebraic equations with 5
variables. Very straight forward. Unfortunately cubic roots are present
in the solution so when the function is evaluated at fixed parameters it
always return a small imaginary part with the real part. The real parts
are quite meaningful and imaginary parts are extremely small. For all
practical purposes I can just drop the imaginary part. When I build a
model function, which is just a linear combination of 5 solutions, I can
evaluate it with fixed parameters and see that it describes my
experimental points rather well. But FindFit fails to perform a search
always stopping at the starting value. Any ideas on how to either drop
imaginary part of the function completely or make FindFit work with a
function that returns complex numbers?

Thanks a lot for your time,
Michael