Re: Re: Re: Help needed with new Export (v. 6)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84291] Re: [mg84267] Re: [mg84255] Re: Help needed with new Export (v. 6)
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:20:09 -0500 (EST)

Although this works if the original data is a table, it will not if the
data is an unnested list, for in that case the items are still written
with one per line, i.e., each item is treated as a separate record.  For
example:

   x = Table[RandomReal[], {5}];
   Export["numbers.txt", x, "Table", "FieldSeparators" -> " "]
   Import["numbers.txt"]
0.1693010791540126
0.7625360043925844
0.8417661120259938
0.5710465219735799
0.544981416130305

(You can see the one-number-per-line in the written file, too.)

The fix in this case is:

    Export["numbers.txt",Partition[x,Length[x]],"Table",
           "FieldSeparators"->" "]

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305