Re: managing version 6 in a locked-down environment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78452] Re: managing version 6 in a locked-down environment
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 06:48:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> As long as you allow writing to $UserBaseDirectory, pretty much any variant of
> the system you're proposing should work fine.
>
> All of the paclet updates in shipping systems are saved in $UserBaseDirectory,
> and a mapping system is in place to use the $UserBaseDirectory versions of these
> files in preference to the ones in the installation directory.  If
> $UserBaseDirectory is wiped clean, then the system will start downloading
> updates from scratch.  Otherwise, the updates will be preserved, even if
> Mathematica is reinstalled.  Nothing is ever overwritten in the installation
> directory.

Is there any means to explicitly control where these automatically
downloaded files will go? I think that this would be what I would want
if I'd be managing a machine where many different users use Mathematica.
At least after I found that I am wasting backup space and time for the
paclet data which resides as an identical copy in each users home
directory and would even be updated automatically just in case. Since in
such an environment the users home directories most probably will be
served over the local area network, such a setup will also add
unnecessary traffic and delays (not mainly for the download, but each
time one of the paclets is called...). Or am I misunderstandig how all
this works?

> Mathematica has long been designed to work well on systems which have the
> installation directory totally locked down.

I guess you'd have had a hard time to sell any of the Unix versions
otherwise :-)

albert