default display of reals & last command behavior in terminal

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77672] default display of reals & last command behavior in terminal
  • From: Juneappal <Juneappal at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:18:59 -0400 (EDT)

2 Questions:

1.
I know I can use
$Post = (# /. x_ /; x =E2=89=A4 0.01 \[Or] x > 1000 :> EngineeringForm[x,5])
&;
To make Mathematica display Reals in Engineer's notation.  Is there any
way to make this the default behavior so I don't have cut and paste
every time I start up a kernel?

2.
When I use Mathematica via the terminal in MacOSX, I find myself wanting
to be able to use the up arrow to get the last command back on the
screen (as in Bash and other programs).  Instead I get nonsense control
characters.  Is there a particular terminal emulation I need to FORCE?

Thanks,

Adam