Re: Re: Integrate question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77749] Re: [mg77685] Re: Integrate question
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:21:47 -0400 (EDT)

I think Jens simply got confused: it is the derivative f' that needs
to be assumed to be continuous, not the function f. What "continuous"
in the "other CAS" presumably means is "assume that the integrand is
continuous", and in this case it is the derivative of f that is the
integrand.

However, I have to confess, I fail to see any serious use for this
(in the case of an undefined fucntion f). Does not having
"continuous" in the integral amount to anything  more than simply the
instruction: do not evaluate this integral using the Fundamental
Theorem of Calculus? Is there any other practical aspect to it? In
Mathematica you also have a number of ways of preventing evaluation
if you don't want it and I don't see any obvious advantage in the way
the "other CAS" does this, except perhaps that of giving us the
illusion of greater mathematical rigour. But then perhaps I am
failing to see something important?

Andrzej Kozlowski