Re: MathLink: letting Mathematica do the hard work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77812] Re: MathLink: letting Mathematica do the hard work
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:08:59 -0400 (EDT)

alexxx.magni at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> In a C program I'm writing, I need to perform a traveling-salesman-
> type calculation.
> Knowing that Mathematica surely optimized it better than I could be
> able to, I wanted to see if it exists a way to call the kernel from my
> C program, pass to it my list of vertices, and get the result.
>
>>From what I found until now it seems to me that MathLink is mostly
> used in the opposite direction: to call external programs from
> Mathematica.
> Do you know if the opposite is possible?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alessandro Magni

A good place to start are the following sections from the Mathematica
Book 5th Edition:

"2.13.9 Two-Way Communication with External Programs"
http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-2.13.9

"2.13.12 Manipulating Expressions in External Programs"
ttp://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-2.13.12

"2.13.14 Running Mathematica from Within an External Program"
http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-2.13.14

Regards,
Jean-Marc