Indefinate integrals, erroneus Natural log?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77842] Indefinate integrals, erroneus Natural log?
  • From: "David Rees" <w3bdevilREMOVE at THISw3bdevil.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 06:55:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

In preparation for a major exam tomorrow, I was just checking some of my
answers to past-papers with mathematica, I fed it this input:

In[117]:=
\!\(\[Integral]\((xE\^\(2 x\))\) \[DifferentialD]x\)
Out[117]=

I marked myself wrong and moved on to the next question, but I happened
accross the actual mark-scheme which said I was correct. It gave this
answer:

((1/2)xE^(2x))-(1/4)e^(2x)

My Integral calculus isn't so strong, so I don't know if the additional
natural log should be there, or if the two expressions are identical.

Thanks