Re: Multi-core Support in Mathematica 5.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74225] Re: Multi-core Support in Mathematica 5.2
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 04:54:13 -0500 (EST)

Neri wrote:
> Thanks, Chris. I wasn't familiar with the technical term but suspected
> the answer was something like you wrote.
>
> Still, wouldn't you say that in most everyday uses the iterations in
> the Table function are independent? Wouldn't it be nice to have the
> ability to tell Mathematica that I mean them to be independent
> (perhaps through an option or attribute?) so Mathematica knows it is
> safe to parallelize the function?
[snip]

As a rule of thumb, multicore support is not parallelizing support.
Usually, by parallelizing one means running code on *multiple
Mathematica kernels* (themselves running on multiple CPUs or cores).
Mathematica cannot parallelize natively: to do so, one must use
gridMathematica [1], or Mathematica Personal Grid Edition [2], or
Mathematica Parallel Computing Toolkit [3]. Only than, one can gain
access to fine control and tunning which operations and functions can be
safely parallelized.

Regards,
Jean-Marc

[1] http://wolfram.com/products/gridmathematica/features.html