Re: ReadList

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74681] Re: ReadList
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 01:30:20 -0500 (EST)

JGBoone at gmail.com wrote:
> How do I get ReadList to read something on the desktop? When I type
> the full path name, I get an error and mathematica seems to be looking
> only in the folder kernel which I don't have access to.

How have you typed the path? Assuming you are on Windows, the path must
be enclosed within double quotes and you must separate the directories
by a double backslash. Moreover the location of the desktop folder is
within the user personal directory (located within the "Documents and
Setting" directory). For instance,

In[1]:=
ReadList["C:\\Documents and
Settings\\Jean-Marc\\Desktop\\numbers.txt",Number]

Out[1]=
{11.1, 22.2, 33.3, 44.4, 55.5, 66.6}

Note that the easiest way to get a path name is by using Menu -> Input
-> Get File Path...

HTH,
Jean-Marc