How to set SVD options?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74684] How to set SVD options?
  • From: renormalize at hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 01:31:53 -0500 (EST)

My attempt to apply SingularValueList[] to a large matrix in
Mathematica 5.2 generates the message:

SingularValueList::maxit2: Maximum number of iterations, 1000, has
been
reached by the Arnoldi algorithm without convergence to the specified
tolerance, but the current best computed value has been returned.  You
can
use method options with Method->{Arnoldi, opts} to increase the basis
size or
the maximum number of iterations, reduce the tolerance, or use an
estimate as
a shift, any of which may help.

The only option I can find listed in the online documentation for
SingularValueList and SingularValueDecomposition is the Tolerance
value for chopping small singular values to zero.

Where can I find Mathematica documentation detailing how and why to
set SVD/Arnoldi options like:  convergence tolerance, maximum
iterations, basis size, shift, etc.?

Thanks,
Ron