GUI kit basic instructions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75529] GUI kit basic instructions
  • From: "King, Peter R" <peter.king at imperial.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 04:14:34 -0400 (EDT)

Right, I have to confess that I am completely baffled. I have read (or
tried to make my way through the turgid prose) the help on GUIKit trying
to work out how to do the simplest possible thing - pop up a little
window with a label asking for input, a field to put the numbers in and
a button to click to enter the data in such a way that I can associate
that numerical value with a particular variable name in some other
Mathematica code. I can understand how to set up different layouts and
so on but can I find out how to use the interface to enter simple data
into some code (the idea being that I can then output the results
through the same interface).

I would be most grateful for i) an explicit example ii)point me to the
right page in help iii) give me a complete alternative to doing the same
thing.

Also, as a suggestion, whoever wrote this sectin of the help should sit
with someone trying to use and understand it, I'm afraid it contains
some of the more incomprehensible writing that I have come across for a
long time. The rest of the halp manual is generally fine with good clear
simple examples

Peter King