Re: MathPlayer???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75521] Re: MathPlayer???
  • From: "Fred Klingener" <gigabitbucket at brockeng.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 04:10:20 -0400 (EDT)

[See the two posts by John Fultz regarding this issue - Moderator]

"Christoph Lhotka" <lhotka at astro.univie.ac.at> wrote in message
news:f1c51i$h9s$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Dear Math Group!
>
> Has anyone installed the new MathPlayer of Mathematica version 6?
> Please don't do so!
>
> On my computer the old Mathematica (5.2) version stopped working after
> installation! Even a reinstallation of the old Mathematica version does
not
> solve the problem! The Front End to Kernel connection can not be
established,
> seems to stay in an infinite loop...

I can only add another datum. My 5.2 (Windows 2000) is evidently functional
after installation of 6.0 Mathematica Player. At least it loads the 5.2
kernel as "Local," it will add 2 and 2, and it will run a (small) random
sampling of my existing notebooks.

Mathematica Player seems to work as advertised on the Demonstrations. It also seems
to run my local notebooks ok, presumably using its own kernel, but I didn't
figure out how to check that for sure.

That's not much help for your immediate problem, other than to suggest that
it's not necessarily a universally buggy Reader install. Sorry.

It doesn't give me a warm feeling though that the Player installer evidently
doesn't install an uninstaller nor does it give Windows enough information
to register it in Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs.

If my life and/or career depended on my ability to run Mathematica, I'd give
it a day or two before installing Player on my 'A' machine.

Fred Klingener