Re: Re: MathPlayer???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75575] Re: [mg75535] Re: MathPlayer???
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 06:08:59 -0400 (EDT)

I had this problem too today after installing Mathematica Player on a
Windows 32-bit machine. Mathematica Player quit with an error message
(giving an assertion failure error) immediately after opening.  And then
upon starting Mathematica 5.2, that quit with winFonts assertion error.

After speaking with Wolfram tech support, I did the same thing as you
(but rebooting after deleting the fonts from the Windows Fonts folder
and before re-installing them from the directory you mention from
Mathematica Player.

However, this is an error I had experienced (on a different Windows
machine) several Mathematica versions ago that would occur whenever I
installed a new version (this was prior to 5.2, which avoided the
error).  I'm pretty sure my experience then was due to my using Adobe
Type Manager (Deluxe, version 4.2) on that machine.  And I think the
conflict was due to a problem with the length of the Mathematica font
names -- some being longer than the maximum that ATM can regard as
distinct fonts.

Since I am also using ATM on the machine where I had the font issue with
Mathematica Player today, I assumed the difficulty there also had root
cause ATM.  From what you say, maybe not.  (Or do you, too, use ATM?)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305