Re: HoldForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76007] Re: HoldForm
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 05:52:07 -0400 (EDT)

dimitris wrote:
> May be I will annoy a little Roman (I am just kiddin'!)
> but I have one question about HoldForm (and yes I am
> obsessed with it! No kiddin'! It's amazing!)
>
> I have
>
> In[19]:=
> f[x_] = Log[x]*x;
> lowerLim = 0; upperLim = Pi;
>
> Then
>
> In[20]:=
> o = HoldForm[Integrate[f[x], {x, lowerLim, upperLim}]]
>
> Out[20]=
> HoldForm[Integrate[f[x], {x, lowerLim, upperLim}]]
>
> However I want the output of Input[20] to be as Out[28]...
>
> In[28]:=
> HoldForm[Integrate[Log[x]*x, {x, 0, Pi}]]
>
> Out[28]=
> HoldForm[Integrate[Log[x]*x, {x, 0, Pi}]]
>
> Any ideas???
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Dimitris

You can use replace rules to change a held expression:

o /. DownValues[f] /. OwnValues[upperLim] /. OwnValues[lowerLim]

You cannot make this happen automatically because you want to treat
symbols differently: evaluate f, upperLim and lowerLim, but not
Integrate. You have to tell Mathematica which are those symbols that you
want to change.