Launching Mathematica kernel with Windows 'start' command in order to customise the priority of the kernel process

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76009] Launching Mathematica kernel with Windows 'start' command in order to customise the priority of the kernel process
  • From: Andrew Moylan <andrew.j.moylan at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 05:53:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Like some previous posters (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-
sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/264aaac68d41add2?tvc=2&q=
%22shell+command%22#), I'd love to configure the Mathematica kernel
attached to my front end to automatically start and run at a lower
priority in Windows. The Windows "start" command has been suggested
for this purpose, and would seem ideal, but I have had no success with
it. Here is what I've tried:

Under "Advanced Options" in the Kernel configuration, the following
works just fine to create a (normal priority) local kernel:

Arguments to MLOpen: -LinkMode Listen -LinkName "test"
Shell command to launch kernel: mathkernel -mathlink -LinkMode Connect
-LinkName "test"

Starting here, I would assume that making the following adjustment
would be adequate to change the priority:

Shell command to launch kernel: start /low mathkernel -mathlink -
LinkMode Connect -LinkName "test"

Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to me, making that change causes
the kernel to fail to start. The symptons are: Kernel menu -> Start
Kernel -> [click on kernel name] -> [nothing apparently happens at
all]. Here are some other shell commands I have tried, with identical
symptoms:

Shell command to launch kernel: start /wait mathkernel -mathlink -
LinkMode Connect -LinkName "test"
Shell command to launch kernel: start mathkernel -mathlink -LinkMode
Connect -LinkName "test"
Shell command to launch kernel: start "title" /wait mathkernel -
mathlink -LinkMode Connect -LinkName "test"
Shell command to launch kernel: start "title" mathkernel -mathlink -
LinkMode Connect -LinkName "test"
and all of the above with 'mathkernel' replaced by the full path to
MathKernel.exe.

Note that opening a Windows command prompt and typing any of the above
works just fine to start mathkernel; but for reasons unknown, none of
them appear to do anything when used in the "Shell command to launch
kernel" box.

The following is probably related: if I create a batch file,
startkernel.bat, and place the relevant shell command into it (any of
the above, including those that don't use the 'start' command and
instead directly run mathkernel.exe), I experience the same symptoms.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew