Re: Compatibility woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76052] Re: Compatibility woes
  • From: Bhuvanesh <lalu_bhatt at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 05:00:16 -0400 (EDT)

I can comment only on the things that I'm (somewhat peripherally) involved with.

Random[] had several issues, which you can find easily by browsing MathGroup. It was clear that a better and hopefully extensible random number generator was needed. However, the behavior of Random[] could not change, for backward compatibility, so the choices were to either have a method option for Random[] (with default Method->"Legacy") or one or more different functions; the latter approach was chosen to make it clear that this was a new implementation, and Random[] was left as-is.

I can't reproduce the issue with loading the Developer` package:

In[1]:= Get["Developer`"]

In[2]:= PackedArrayQ[Range[10]]

Out[2]= True

In[3]:= PackedArrayQ[Table[i, {i,10}]]

Out[3]= False

In[4]:= PackedArrayQ[ToPackedArray[Table[i, {i,10}]]]

Out[4]= True

In any case, you don't really need to load the package; you can use the symbols in contexted form, as in Developer`ToPackedArray[array].

Bhuvanesh,
Wolfram Research