Re: 64-bit again

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76350] Re: 64-bit again
  • From: Al <aajacksoniv at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 02:28:55 -0400 (EDT)

On May 19, 4:13 am, David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
wrote:
> Al wrote:
> > I got this message from Wolfram :
> > "The Mathematica kernel (the calculating engine) will be a 64-bit
> > application.  The Mathematica frontend (user interface) will be a 32-
> > bit application."
>
> > Does that mean you should not run Mathematica under the 64-bit version
> > of Vista?
>
> 64-bit Vista can run both 64-bit and 32-bit programs. The kernel and
> frontend are distinct programs that talk to each other, so they should
> both run, and there should be no problem.
>
> David Baileyhttp://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

Thankie much, I also got the same answer from Wolfram, not being a
computer weiner would be nice if Wolfram put that in 'language-for-
dummies' on their site. It might be, but I could not find it.

I have to get a laugh out of my experience at finding a machine loaded
with Vista 64, called Dell , sales person  says Vista 64 What?! The
person was real nice and helpful when I made it understood what I
wanted, still did not have a cookbook way of assembling a machine with
a 64-bit OS. Said they would get back to me. Have an email at HP right
now asking the same question. Asked a local electronics specialty
place if they would make me one, they said yes but that I would have
to supply the Vista 64 OS.
Plenty of 64-bit CPU machines out there, but an off-the-shelf with a
64-bit OS .... well , not so easy, I guess?