Re: using Save/Get with a function definition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81742] Re: using Save/Get with a function definition
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 05:48:32 -0400 (EDT)

congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com wrote:

> I am trying to use" Get" with a function definition. I can guess I am
> not saving it properly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is my
> test:
>
> Expand[(x+y)^3] >> tmp1
>
> f[x_] := Sin[x]
>
> % >> tmp1
>
> (exit Mathematica)
>
> (bring up Mathematica)
>
> << tmp0
>
> (shows expanded poly)
>
> << tmp1
>
> (no output)
>
> ?f
>
> Information::notfound: Symbol f not found. >>

The symbol << is a shortcut for the function *Put* that writes the
result of the evaluation of an expression. A *SetDelayed* definition
does not output anything (check the contents of the file tmp1: it
contains the symbol NULL).

To save a function definition and its dependences, use *Save*. For instance,

(* First session *)
In[1]:= Expand[(x + y)^3] >> tmp0
f[x_] := Sin[x] >> tmp1
Save["tmp2", f]