Re: using Save/Get with a function definition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81738] Re: using Save/Get with a function definition
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 05:46:28 -0400 (EDT)

congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello Mathematica UG:
>
> I am trying to use" Get" with a function definition. I can guess I am
> not saving it properly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is my
> test:
>
> Expand[(x+y)^3] >> tmp1
>
> f[x_] := Sin[x]
>
> % >> tmp1
>
> (exit Mathematica)
>
> (bring up Mathematica)
>
> << tmp0
>
> (shows expanded poly)
>
> << tmp1
>
> (no output)
>
> ?f
>
> Information::notfound: Symbol f not found. >>

"%" is the result of the last evaluation (Out[...]), not the last input
expression (In[...]).  f[x_] := Sin[x] evaluates to Null, so only Null
is written to the file.

If you'd like to use the notebook interface to maintain some function
definitions in a text file, make the relevant cells initialisation cells
(Cell -> Cell Properties ->), and save the notebook.  Mathematica will
ask you whether you'd like to create an auto-save package from the
initialisation cells.  Choose "Yes".

You may also be interested in the Save[] function.

--
Szabolcs