Re: Number of interval Intersections for a large number of intervals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81718] Re: [mg81679] Number of interval Intersections for a large number of intervals
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 05:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

[WRI: there's a Plot/Piecewise insect (bug?) noted below.]

I'm having to guess a bit, but maybe this is what you mean:

intervals = Sort /@ RandomReal[{-1, 1}, {10^5, 2}];
trans = Transpose@intervals;
{{min, maxLow}, {minHigh, max}} = Through[{Min, Max}@#] & /@ trans;
{low, high} =
   Interpolation[Transpose@{Sort@#, -1 + Range@Length@#},
      InterpolationOrder -> 0] & /@ trans;

Clear[count]
count[x_] /; x < min = 0;
count[x_] /; x > max = 0;
count[x_] /; x < minHigh := low[x]
count[x_] /; x > maxLow := low[maxLow] - high[x]
count[x_] := low[x] - high[x];
First@Timing@Plot[count@x, {x, -1, 1}]

0.031

or

Clear[count2]
count2[x_] =
   Piecewise[{{0, x < min}, {low[x], x < minHigh}, {low[x] - high[x],
      x <= maxLow}, {low[maxLow] - high[x], x <= max}}];
First@Timing@Plot[count2@x, {x, -1, 1}]

0.047

INSECT report: If I use a small number of Intervals -- 10, say -- the two
plots are different. The Piecewise version doesn't have "returns" at some
of the discontinuities, even though the following plots the zero function
as expected:

Plot[count2@x - count@x, {x, -1, 1}]

Is this an example of Exclusions->Automatic at work?

If so, why aren't all the returns omitted?

Bobby

DrMajorBob at bigfoot.com